Eldora | Inducted 2018 | Category: Amateur golfer
Known as the ‘Minnow King’, Ivan Miller was credited with well over 100 golf tournament titles across the state of Iowa during the 1970-80s.
Miller, an art teacher by trade, spent every weekend in the summer traveling to as many as three one-day events. His dominance at these events earned him the ‘Minnow King’ moniker.
Miller, the IGA Player of the Year in 1978 and 1980, also had success in larger events too – winning the 1980 Northwest Amateur and Iowa Masters. He also won the 1982 Fort Dodge Amateur.
Miller also mentored many golfers during his teaching days, as he served as golf coach in Eldora for over 40 years.
As described in his nomination, “Miller was the full package with tremendous power, high-flying irons and a great short game. With a push of his glasses up on his nose and a hitch of his trousers, he unleashed if not the most winning career in Iowa golf history, then one of them for sure.”
- 1978 IGA Player of the Year
- 1980 IGA Player of the Year
- 1980 Iowa Masters Champion
- 1980 Northwest Amateur Champion
- 1982 Fort Dodge Amateur Champion
- Routinely credited with wins at well over 100 one-day tournaments held at 9-hole courses throughout Iowa in the 70’s and 80’s