Waverly | Inducted 2011 | Category: Superintendent
Over the course of a 40 plus year career Doug Snook, CGCS has been a leader and a mentor for golf course superintendents. Snook has been the Golf Course Superintendent at Waverly Municipal Golf Course for 29 years and was recognized by the IGSCA as Superintendent of the Year twice, in 1986 and again in 2002.
He has served on the board of directors of both the Iowa Golf Course Superintendents Association (IGCSA) and the Iowa Turf Institute (ITI) and was President of the IGCSA in 1991 and ITI in 2000. Among his many awards Snook received the IGCSA’s Distinguished Service Award in 1998 and the ITI’s Meritorious Service Award in 2006.
The sentiments expressed by several of his colleagues in supporting his nomination were summarized by ITI executive director Jeff Wendel: “Doug has been a dedicated servant of the game of golf for more than 40 years, said Wendel. “The most significant reason for inducting Mr. Snook is his influence on the industry, including mentoring others who went on to become Golf Course Superintendents and shaping the future of the Superintendent profession.”
- Certified as a GCSAA Superintendent in 1987
- Golf Course Superintendent of the Year: 1986 & 2002
- President of Iowa GCSA, 1991
- Iowa Turfgrass Institute President, 2000
- Iowa Turfgrass Institute Board of Trustees: 1996-2003
- Calhoun Writing Award Winner, 1997
- Iowa GCSA Distinguished Service Award Winner, 1998
- Iowa Turfgrass Institute’s Meritorious Service Award, 2006