Marshalltown | Born - July 21,1920; Died - September 8, 2012
Inducted in 1989 | Category: Club Professional/Benefactor
Joe August was recognized as a great teacher of the game of golf, a great club professional, supporter of junior programs and conducted numerous tournaments around the state. Joe August began his professional career at Olympia Fields Country Club in Chicago where he was the assistant pro from 1947-49. He took the head professional job at Minnesota Valley Country Club in Minnesota before settling at Elmwood Country Club in Marshalltown.
August served on numerous boards and committees throughout his career including time as the Iowa Section PGA president, Vice President of the National PGA and the chairman of the Special Events committee that named Jack Nicklaus Player of the Year in 1974. He ran the annual Iowa State Best Ball held at Elmwood Country Club for over 30 years. Joe was also the recipient of numerous awards and honors throughout his career and had two tournaments named in his honor: The Joe August Invitational (Marshalltown High School Tournament) and the Joe August Four-Ball Match Play in Ames.
- Asst. Professional at Chicago’s Olympia Fields Country Club 1947-49
- Head Professional at Minnesota Valley 1949-1952
- Head Professional at Elmwood Country Club from 1952-1985
- Iowa PGA Section President 1961-1963
- National PGA Vice-President 1973-1975 – Chairman of special events committee
- Iowa PGA Section Professional of the Year 1962; 1977