Des Moines | Inducted 1995 | Category: Professional/ Amateur Golfer
John David Turner has had an incredible impact on the game of golf in Iowa. Not only was J.D. been a very active and successful player in the state, but he has distinguished himself as an outstanding teacher and promoter of the game of golf.
Turner’s playing career totaled 10 Iowa Major titles and numerous other victories. Some of his wins include: 5 titles at the Iowa Open, 2 victories at the Herman Sani, and titles at the Northwest Amateur, Fort Dodge Amateur, and at the Tournament of Champions. Turner also won the PGA Section Championship in 1986 and was the winner of the PGA Section Senior Championship 5 different times in 1990, ’92-’94 and 2000. His career also included 2 appearances at the U.S. Senior Open in 1992 and 1994, a Senior PGA Championship appearance in 1994, and won an Iowa Senior Open title in 1992.
J.D.’s teaching career has also been widely recognized throughout the country. J.D. was named the Iowa Section PGA Teacher of the Year in 1986-1989 and Golf Magazine named him as one of the top 100 Golf instructors in the country from 1991-2008. His teaching career also included the creation of the TV show, J.D. Turner’s Golf University, in 1983.
Playing Career Highlights:
- Fort Dodge Amateur Champion – 1965
- Northwest Amateur Champion – 1969
- 5 Iowa Open Titles – 1969-71, 79 & 83.
- 2 Herman Sani Victories – 1974 & 1984
- Iowa Section PGA Champion – 1986
- Iowa Senior Open Champion – 1992
- 5-Time Iowa Section PGA Senior Champion – 1990, 92-94 & 2001
- 2 U.S. Senior Opens – 1992 & 94
- U. S. Senior PGA Championship – 1994
- 11 Club Pro Championship Appearances
Teaching Career Highlights:
- 4-Time Iowa Section PGA Teacher of the Year 1986-‘89
- Master PGA Professional
- Listed as Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor – 1991-‘08
- Produced and Hosted J.D. Turner’s Golf University TV show since 1983
- Received IGA Outstanding Service Award – 1984
(Updated February 2017)