The 2020 IGA Player of the Year, Connor Peck (pictured above courtesy of Eric Pratt, Fort Dodge Messenger), took home the Fort Dodge Amateur Championship over the weekend. Peck won his first event in the 2021 season after firing a three-round total, 208 at Fort Dodge Country Club.
In the first two rounds, Peck carded back-to-back rounds of 70 and found himself in third place. Heading into the final round down six shots to Andrew Huseman, Peck did not try to force anything and continued to play his game.
A quick start on the final day was what Peck needed, and he accomplished that. Peck recorded a 3-under 32 on his front nine with help from an eagle on the seventh hole. Posting even (36) on the back nine was just enough to get by Ethan Mechling, who finished in second at 4-under.
In the Senior Division, Terry Cook (left) put on a show in the first round, recording seven birdies and a hole-in-one on the 11th hole. Cook had a 12-shot lead as he approached the tee box in the final round. A hard-fought round of 76 on the final day gave Cook his second win of the 2021 season.
Pat Ryan (right) played three rounds of consistent golf and defeated Joel Yunek in a playoff to give him his first win of the 2021 season. Ryan recorded a three-round total of 222 (72-75-75) and was able to sneak out a win from a tough competitor in Yunek.
The next additional point event on the 2021 schedule will be the Iowa Masters at Veenker Memorial Golf Course in Ames, Iowa. This event will take place on Friday, July 9 through July 11.
Read more from Eric Pratt of the Fort Dodge Messenger by clicking here.
1. Connor Peck 70-70-68-208
2. Ethan Mechling 70-69-70-209
3. Andrew Huseman 66-68-77-211
T4. Willis Gaer 70-73-71-214
T4. Carson Caylor 73-75-66-214
6. Luke Galeazzi 72-74-72-218
7. Ben Epperly 70-76-74-220
T8. Ryan Horner 76-73-72-221
T8. Kelly Brown 71-77-73-221
10. Mike Arndorfer 69-80-75-224
1. Terry Cook 63-75-76-214
2. Dave Gaer 76-74-67-217
3. Tony Newkirk 71-79-74-224
4. Tony Malizia 77-78-73-228
5. Todd Hingtgen 77-77-78-232
6. Tom Christensen 76-81-78-235
7. Steve Wermerskirchen 77-82-77-236
8. Rick Sanders 83-75-81-239
9. Jay Hickman 81-88-75
10. Edwin Evans 87-84-81-252
Super Senior Division:
1. Pat Ryan 72-75-75-222 (Playoff winner)
2. Joel Yunek 73-74-75-222
3. Dave Sergeant 71-77-75-223
4. Rob Christensen 74-76-74-224
5. Harold Hickman 79-73-73-225
6. Ned Palmer 74-79-75-228
7. Richard Gorbell 79-77-79-235
8. James Blackburn 79-78-82-239
9. Randy Studer 82-78-80-240
10. Terry Miller 83-81-79-243