McCarty named George Turner Distinguished Service Award recipient, Flanders named IGA Volunteer of the Year
Judy McCarty is this year’s George Turner Distinguished Service Award recipient for her years of service to the game of golf, both as a player and a volunteer. She was recognized during a ceremony at Elmwood County Club in Marshalltown on Dec. 15.
“I think it’s a great honor,” she said. “It’s fun to be recognized for all those years of hard work. It was work, but it was all for the love of the game. It was really just spreading that love for the game to more people and stuff like that.”
McCarty was very involved with and on the Iowa Women’s Golf Association board for many years.
Her accomplishments include:
• District Co-Chair 1994-97;
• Board of Directors 1998-end of IWGA;
• Assistant Secretary/Treasurer 2000, 2001;
• Secretary Treasurer 2002-2005;
• President 2006-2009;
• Iowa Women’s Am Co-Director 2001-2007;
• Iowa Wife-Husband Committee 2004-2014;
• Webmaster 2001-2006;
• Ann Griffel Scholarship Committee 2010-present (also served as chair for several years; scholarship is now administered by the IGA Foundation).
Click here to read a feature article on McCarty by Matt Levins, The Hawkeye (Burlington)
Sean Flanders (pictured), of Urbandale, is this year’s IGA Volunteer of the Year, which is decided by IGA staff. This marks the second time Flanders has been honored with the IGA’s Volunteer of the Year.
Flanders is one of the most selfless people you will ever meet. He has a tremendous work ethic and is uplifting to everyone he comes across. Sean has been a student of the rules and has been willing to officiate all over the state of Iowa.
Sean is a friend to all and when he isn’t volunteering at a Championship he is missed.